ESPN7 minutes of reading
The summer transfer window is now open in Europe, and there is plenty of gossip swirling around. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, completed deals!
TOP STORY: USMNT’s Musah closes in on Milan move
United States and Valencia midfielder Yunus Musah is close to a move to AC Milan, according to Nicolo Schira.
Musah, 20, is said to have agreed personal terms with Rossoneriafter agreeing to sign a four-year deal to move from the Estadio Mestalla to the San Siro.
Two Premier League clubs are believed to have been interested in him, but Musah has made his preference clear to join the Serie A side. If he completes the move, he will join compatriot Christian Pulisic, who signed from Chelsea earlier this month for around €22 million ($25.9 million).
The Che has previously been reported to be looking for a fee in the region of €25m. to part with Musah, who was a standout player for the United States at the World Cup in Qatar.
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga and more (USA)
– Read on ESPN+: Explanation of the language in the transfer window
10.22 BST: Former Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy have signed a two-year deal with Ligue 1 team FC Lorient.
Mendy, 29, joined City in 2017 from Ligue 1 side AS Monaco for a fee of around £52m but became the subject of a police investigation after 13 women made allegations against him and co-accused Louis Saha Matturie.
At a renewed trial on Friday, he was found not guilty in a case of rape of a woman and attempted rape of another woman. In January, Mendy was found not guilty of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
Mendy last played for City against Tottenham Hotspur in August 2021 and was suspended by the Premier League club later that month when he was arrested. City released him when his contract expired last month.
10.11 BST: Former Real Madrid and Spain midfielder Isco has told Feel that he “prioritises going abroad” in his next move.
Isco left Sevilla last December after just four months at the LaLiga club – claiming on Tuesday that his departure was motivated by a row with then sporting director Monchi – before a move to Union Berlin collapsed on the final day of the January transfer window. .
“I have played for Valencia, Malaga, Sevilla, Madrid,” Isco told Marca. I’m excited about the experience of playing in another league, learning a language that grows personally outside of Spain… I’m not closing the door on anything.”
Isco also revealed that he was approached by Barcelona earlier in his Real Madrid career.
“[Ex-president Josep Maria] Bartomeu called me,” he said. “And with what Bartomeu was paying at the time… But I was happy in Madrid with my teammates… I wasn’t going to leave Madrid for all the gold in the world.”
09.29 BST: July 31 is the latest “deadline” for Kylian Mbappe‘s future must be decided, according to Marca’s cover story on Wednesday, with Paris Saint-Germain insisting that the striker either sign a new contract or leave the club.
Mbappe has returned to training with PSG this week ahead of their pre-season tour of Japan, with the possibility of a move to Real Madrid – with his current deal set to expire next June – no closer to being resolved.
Club president Nasser Al Khelaifi attended Tuesday’s session, where he met individually with PSG’s new signings – but not Mbappe, according to multiple reports – and addressed the team.
Front page headline of AS diary includes a quote from Al Khelaifi saying “no one is bigger than the club” and notes that in a group photo the PSG president and Mbappe are positioned far apart.
09.04 BST: Manchester United are ready to increase their interest in the Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal color over the fear that Atalanta will not compromise on their valuation of Rasmus Højlundsources told ESPN.
United have turned their attention to signing a centre-forward after completing a deal for the Inter Milan goalkeeper Andrew Onan.
Hojlund is a key target, but Atalanta want at least €70m. – a valuation which United do not believe is a fair reflection of the 20-year-old, who is at the start of his career.
The Denmark international scored nine goals in 32 Serie A games last season and is yet to reach 100 senior appearances since making his debut for Copenhagen in the 2020-21 campaign.
Sources have told ESPN that United will test Atalanta’s resolve with a bid, but the club are also working on a potential move for Kolo Muani.
08.30 BST: Mauricio Pochettino has confirmed that he is expecting Romelu Lukaku to leave Chelsea this summer and says the club are targeting a central midfielder but could also look to sign a centre-back Wesley Fofana‘s serious injury setback.
In his first exclusive interview since becoming Blues boss on July 1, Pochettino sat down with ESPN to discuss the work Chelsea have left to do in the transfer market.
Lukaku was not part of the 29-man squad that traveled to North Carolina on Monday for five pre-season games in the United States, starting with a friendly against Wrexham on Wednesday.
Juventus and Inter Milan are interested in signing Lukaku and although he has so far resisted interest from the Middle East to join the Saudi Pro League side, Pochettino stated that the striker sees his future elsewhere after talks with the club.
Asked by ESPN if Lukaku wanted to leave Chelsea, Pochettino said: “I think it’s obvious. I think we can repeat this.
“It’s obvious what’s going on with him. I think between the club and the player they share the same ideas and we’re working on it to try to fix it and have the best solution for both parties. “
08.15 BST: Brighton have rejected another bid from Chelsea for the midfielder Moses Caicedo Worth £70m, sources told ESPN.
Chelsea received an opening bid of £60m. dismissed last month but returned with improved numbers as manager Mauricio Pochettino looks to bolster his options in midfield following the departures of Matthew Kovacic to Manchester City and N’Golo Kante – The best of N’Golo Kante to Al Ittihad.
Although their latest bid has been rejected, Chelsea are expected to continue their pursuit of Calcedo, who is valued at £100m by Brighton.
Caicedo, 21, has joined Brighton in the United States on their pre-season tour and the club are in a strong negotiating position as he signed a new contract in March that runs until the end of the 2026-27 season.
08.00 BST: Barcelona have bought a midfielder Oriol Romeu from Girona, the club announced on Wednesday in a deal that sees midfielder Pablo Torre, 20, move in the other direction on a season-long loan.
Romeu, 31, will be Barca’s fourth arrival of the summer after Ilkay Gundogan, Inigo Martinez and Vitor Roque, although the latter will not join until 2024.
PAPER STREETS (Adam Brown)
– Atletico Madrid are considering signing the Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti to be a priority option, reports Gazzetta dello Sport. PSG are willing to listen to offers for the 30-year-old but are reportedly looking for a transfer fee of at least €80m before they will agree to let him go. The Italian playmaker is also attracting interest from both Liverpool and Chelsea.
– Bayern Munich are open to moving Joshua Kimmich on this summer, according to Kicker. The 28-year-old, who has been linked with Barcelona, was previously considered untouchable by the Allianz Arena hierarchy, but they would now be open to parting ways with him if they received a “lucrative” offer. He played 33 league games last season.
– A deal is closing in between Newcastle United and Leicester City as talks continue over the winger Harvey Barnesreports CBS journalist Ben Jacobs. The two clubs are reportedly discussing a fee in excess of £35m, with Newcastle manager Eddie Howe keen to land the Foxes star this summer.
– Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Xavi Simons is set to join RB Leipzig, reports Fabricius Roman. The 20-year-old, who returned to the Parc des Princes for a €12 million buy-back clause from PSV Eindhoven this summer, will join the Bundesliga club until the end of the season, although the deal does not include an option that would allow him to quit tell them permanently. He was an outstanding player for PSV last season, contributing 27 goals in 34 Eredivisie matches.
– Fulham have issued a hands-off warning to West Ham United regarding the defensive midfielder João Strawwrites Football Insider. The Hammers have sought to negotiate a way to sign him, but after the Cottagers rejected a £45m bid, it appears they have no plans to move the 28-year-old Portugal international on, with the remaining four years back. his contract.