USMNT vs. Panama
2023 Concacaf Gold Cup semi-finals
12 July 2023
Snapdragon Stadium; San Diego, California
Pregame Coverage: 7:00 PM ET on FS1, Univision, TUDN
Kickoff: 7:30 PM ET on FS1, Univision, TUDN, Primera Radio Soccer
Social Media: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; american football on Facebookthe american football app
Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Panama: 1-Matt Turner (Capt.), 3-Aaron Long, 5-Bryan Reynolds, 6-Gianluca Busio, 8-James Sands, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 11-Cade Cowell, 12-Miles Robinson, 14-Djordje Mihailovic, 15 -DeJuan Jones, 19-Brandon Vazquez
Replacements: 18-Sean Johnson, 23-Gaga Slonina, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 4-Matt Miazga, 10-Cristian Roldan, 13-Jordan Morris, 17-Alex Zendejas, 20-Jalen Neal, 21-John Tolkin, 22-Julian Gressel, 24-Jackson Yueill
Not clothed: 16-Aidan Morris
GAME NOTES | FIVE THINGS: PANAMA | USMNT GOLD CUP GOAL SCORERS QUIZ
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Aaron Long (35), Matt Turner (32), Miles Robinson (25), Jesús Ferreira (23), Gianluca Busio (13), James Sands (13), Djordje Mihailovic ( 11), Cade Cowell (8), Brandon Vazquez (8), Bryan Reynolds (7))DeJuan Jones (6)
- USMNT Starting XI Concacaf Gold Cup Cap Numbers (including this match): James Sands (11), Gianluca Busio (10), Matt Turner (10), Miles Robinson (9), Aaron Long (8), Djordje Mihailovic (7) , Cade Cowell (5), Jesús Ferreira (5), Brandon Vazquez (5), DeJuan Jones (4), Bryan Reynolds (4)
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers in Official Competition (including this match): Matt Turner (27), Miles Robinson (22), Aaron Long (15) Jesús Ferreira (14), Gianluca Busio (13), James Sands (12), Djordje Mihailovic (7), Cade Cowell (5), Bryan Reynolds (5), Brandon Vazquez (5), DeJuan Jones (4)
- With an average age of 24 years, 202 days, tonight’s lineup is the seventh youngest the USMNT has used in a knockout round game. The team’s 10 youngest knockout lineups have all been posted since 2021.
|Youngest USMNT Lineups in Knockout Round Matches|
|3 June 2021||23 years, 215 days||1-0 W against Honduras||Nations League semi-finals|
|25 July 2021||23 years, 280 days||1-0 W against Jamaica||Gold Cup quarter-final|
|29 July 2021||23 years, 284 days||1-0 W against Qatar||Gold Cup semi-finals|
|18 June 2023||23 years, 314 days||2-0 W vs. Canada||Nations League final|
|15 June 2023||23 years, 327 days||3-0 W vs. Mexico||Nations League semi-finals|
|9 July 2023||24 years, 187 days||2-2 D (3-2 PK) vs. Canada||Gold Cup quarter-final|
|12 July 2023||
24 years, 202 days
|Gold Cup semi-finals|
|6 June 2021||24 years, 207 days||3-2 W (AET) vs. Mexico||Nations League final|
|1 August 2021||24 years, 236 days||1-0 W (AET) vs. Mexico||Gold Cup final|
|3 December 2022||25 years, 86 days||1-3 L vs. Netherlands||World Cup round of 16|
- Seven starters are 24 or younger: Djordje Mihailovic and Brandon Vazquez (24); James Sands (23); Jesús Ferreira and Bryan Reynolds (22); Gianluca Busio (21); Cade Cowell (19).
- The line-up also averages 16 caps and 11 appearances in official competition.
- USMNT head coach BJ Callaghan makes three changes to the XI that started against Canada on Wednesday, fielding defender Aaron Long and forwards Cade Cowell and Brandon Vazquez.
- After becoming the first USMNT player to record three goals as a substitute in the Gold Cup, Brandon Vazquez will make his first start of the tournament tonight in his hometown of San Diego.
- Making his second start in the competition alongside Aaron Long (June 24 vs. Trinidad and Tobago), Cade Cowell (June 28 vs. St. Kitts and Nevis) becomes the fourth-youngest player to start a Gold Cup Knockout Round game for the USMNT .
|Youngest USMNT players to start in Gold Cup Knockout round|
18 years, 211 days
June 22, 2011 against Panama
19 years, 58 days
25 July 2021 vs. Jamaica
19 years, 191 days
August 1, 2021 against Mexico
19 years, 271 days
July 12, 2023 against Panama
19 years, 319 days
9 July 2023 vs. Canada
- Jesús Ferreira and James Sands are the only two players to start all five matches at the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup.
- Sands becomes the sixth player to appear in 11 consecutive Gold Cup games for the USMNT. A substitute in his Gold Cup debut against Haiti on 11 July 2021, the midfielder has started each of his last 10 Gold Cup appearances.
Consecutive GC Caps/
Most consecutive starts
- Goalkeeper Matt Turner, who captains the team for the fourth time tonight, makes his 10thth Gold Cup appearance, tying Tony Meola for third all-time among USMNT goalkeepers in the confederation championship.
- Turner is also making his eighth appearance in a knockout round game, moving past Meola for third place among USMNT goalkeepers. The 29-year-old is 5-1-1 in knockout competitions, recording five clean sheets along the way.
|USMNT Gold Cup Goalkeeper Caps||USMNT Knockout Round Goalie Caps|
|Player||GP (SO)||WLD||Player||GP (SO)||WLD|
|Casey Keller||23 (14)||17-3-3||Casey Keller||16 (7)||9-5-2|
|Tim Howard||13 (8)||11-2-0||Tim Howard||12 (4)||7-5-0|
|Tony Meola||10 (6)||8-1-1||Matt Turner||
|7-0-2||Tony Meola||7 (3)||3-3-1|
|Brad Guzan||8 (2)||4-1-3||Brad Friedel||6 (3)||2-2-2|
|4 with||5 caps||–||Brad Guzan||6 (1)||2-3-1|
- Aaron Long and Miles Robinson pair up in central defense for the second time tonight. The duo previously worked together in the 7-0 win against Trinidad and Tobago on January 31, 2021 in Orlando.
- Six players have previously featured against Panama: Aaron Long and Djordje Mihailovic (2 GP); Gianluca Busio, Jesús Ferreira, Miles Robinson and Matt Turner (1 GP).
- Djordje Mihailovic made his USMNT debut, scoring his first international goal in a 3-0 win against Panama on January 27, 2019 in Glendale, Ariz. Jesús Ferreira scored his first goal in official competition against Canaleroswhich corresponds to the 27thth minute of the 5-1 World Cup qualifying win on March 27, 2022 in Orlando.
- Five starters have previous semi-final experience. Miles Robinson and Matt Turner both appeared in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup semi-final against Qatar and the 2023 Concacaf Nations League semi-final against Canada. Gianluca Busio and James Sands also featured in the 2021 semi-final against Qatar, while Aaron Long featured in the 2019 Gold Cup semi-final against Jamaica.
- Should he come off the bench tonight, 19-year-old Jalen Neal (6 caps) would tie Mike Windischmann for most USMNT appearances by a teenage center back at seven.
- Five substitutions are allowed at three different times during regulation. Pause does not count as a replacement moment. Should the match be tied after 90 minutes, two 15-minute extra periods will be played and both teams will be allowed a second substitution. If the teams are tied at the end of extra time, the match will be decided by penalty kicks.
- The USMNT has gone to shootouts seven times in official competition and has advanced on five occasions.
|USMNT Shootout Record in Official Competition|
|July 7, 1991||Honduras||0-0 D (4-3 W)||Gold Cup final|
|17 July 1995||Mexico||0-0 D (4-1 W)||Copa America quarter finals|
|19 February 2000||Colombia||2-2 D (1-2 L)||Gold Cup quarter-final|
|January 30, 2002||Canada||0-0 D (4-2 W)||Gold Cup semi-finals|
|July 24, 2005||Panama||0-0 D (3-1 W)||Gold Cup final|
|25 July 2015||Panama||1-1D (2-3L)||Third place Gold Cup match|
|9 July 2022||Canada||2-2D (3-2W)||Gold Cup quarter-final|
- Video assistant referee will be used for all matches in the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup.
- This is the 26thth all-time meeting between USA and Panama. The USMNT has a 17-2-6 overall advantage in the series. The team also holds a 13-2-6 advantage in official competition and is 6-1-4 in Gold Cup play.
- The USMNT is 29-8-6 all-time in Gold Cup knockout rounds and 11-3-1 in Gold Cup semifinal games.
- The referee for tonight’s match is Walter López from Guatemala. The USMNT is 3-0-0 in games refereed by Mr. López:
- March 24, 2017: 6-0 W vs. Honduras (2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying)
- July 26, 2017: 2-1 W vs. Jamaica (2017 Concacaf Gold Cup Final)
- 12 November 2021: 2-0 W v Mexico (2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier)